Carmen Shaw's Reviews > Wake

Wake by Amanda Hocking

Jul 28, 12

Read from July 25 to 28, 2012

Overall Thoughts:
This was the first book I'd ever read by Amanda Hocking, but it definitely won't be the last! I completely fell in love with this story!

Wake is about a sixteen year old girl named Gemma who is strong, beautiful, and a competitive swimmer. All of these characteristics cause three mysteriously alluring women - Penn, Lexi, and Thea - to choose her to become like them. A siren. Gemma has always been one to push the rules but never break them so when she starts breaking curfew and hanging out with those three girls, her older sister, Harper, becomes alarmed, especially because she doesn't trust them. She gets extremely protective of her sister and tries everything to prevent her from going to them. The sirens have the beauty of any goddess, the voice of any angel, and the confidence to do anything. Once Gemma starts hanging out with them, she discovers that she does as well. When they demand her to runaway with them, she's torn because of her love for her family and boyfriend, Alex, and then people start to disappear...

What I liked about this book:
I found each and every character to have depth and were well personalized. The author did an amazing job with getting us familiar with each one, from the main character (Gemma) to a supporting character (Marcy, Harper's antisocial coworker and friend).

Also, I really loved each relationship. Gemma and Alex's relationship wasn't like most Young Adult love. It wasn't fast and instant, it was slow and cute. It wasn't cool and uber-romantic, it was shy and adorable. Even though Alex was described as a total hottie, he was still self-conscious but protective of her. On the other hand, Gemma and Harper's relationship was so strong it was admirable. They're complete opposites, but they also complete each other.

What I disliked about this book:
There wasn't really anything I disliked about this book, other than how unsettling the ending was. Don't get me wrong, I loved the ending! I was just mad... because it ended and it wasn't a "happily ever after" kind of ending. Gr.

Verdict:
I read this book within a day because I physically and mentally couldn't put it down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah Marie (new) - added it

Sarah Marie Ooo sounds good. I can't wait to read it. I read Hocking's book Switched, but I have yet to read the others in that trilogy and I'm looking forward to this one.

Carmen Shaw Sarah Marie wrote: "Ooo sounds good. I can't wait to read it. I read Hocking's book Switched, but I have yet to read the others in that trilogy and I'm looking forward to this one."

Ooh how is switched? I really want to read it but haven't yet

message 3: by Sarah Marie (new) - added it

Sarah Marie Shae wrote: "Sarah Marie wrote: "Ooo sounds good. I can't wait to read it. I read Hocking's book Switched, but I have yet to read the others in that trilogy and I'm looking forward to this one."

Ooh how is swi..."

Switched was pretty good. I loved it and the only thing that bothered me about the book was the over description about the Trylle world it was annoying. You should definitely give it a shot.