Yuu Sasih's Reviews > Kitchen

Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: about-life, family, fiction, romance
Read in July, 2012

Consisted of two novellas: Kitchen and Moonlight Shadow.

A very simplistic story about family, love, and grieving. A story about life and lost. A story about moving on.

Kitchen started with Mikage's mourn of her grandmother's death. She was her last family member after her parents died while she's still a child and her grandfather died when she's in middle school. Depressed because she has no one left, she was taken into costudy by the Tanabes, Yuichi and her transexual mother (father?), Eriko. They fell into routine and became a new family for Mikage even after she had her own apartment. But not long after she moved out from Tanabes' house, Eriko was being killed by her stalker, leaving Mikage back into her despair, with Yuichi in tow. Could Mikage move on with her life again after now also losing Eriko, her newfound mother-figure, while at the same time recognizing her new shape of relationship with an equally mourning Yuichi?

I really love the way Yoshimoto-sensei brought her story, it's so simple yet the wording are so meaningful. The setting was light yet so culturally Japan, it feels like reading a manga. The pace was a bit fast and at some point being illogical, but it's a nice story after all.

"Why is it we have so little choice? We live like the lowliest worm. Always defeated--defeated we make dinner, we eat, we sleep. Everyone we love is dying. Still, to cease living is unacceptable."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen.