Fiona's Reviews > The First Days

The First Days by Rhiannon Frater

Jun 16, 15

bookshelves: books-i-loved, audible, zombies, favorites
Recommended for: zombaholics
Read from July 20 to 23, 2012

The opening page had me totally hooked. I still can't get the image of those little fingers scrabbling under the door out of my mind. I stayed hooked, and on the edge of my seat, right to the end. Hardly slept. Then I got up early to download the next in the series from audible.

It's a fast-paced, tense zombie thriller. The characters are engaging, likeable and multidimensional. No matter how ditsy, cheerful and bloodthirsty Jenni is, for example, you never lose sight of her underlying pain. The sheer stress of living under the permanent threat of attack is palpable. The way strong bonds of friendship and love develop after a short time is believable.

It's way scarier than a lot of zombie books because the zombies are FAST. Finally, one aspect I loved is that the characters often refer to well-known zombie films and books and comment on the similarities and differences between what they thought they knew and what they are actually experiencing. I think I've seen that in other books too, but here it is done with a light touch that adds credibility to the story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Days.