Maggie's Reviews > Elantris

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

F_50x66
Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: favorites

Wheel of Time is one of my all-time favorite series. So when I heard Brandon Sanderson had been chosen to carry on Robert Jordan's work the first thing I did was grab my keys and took off to the nearest bookstore. The Wheel of Time is so detailed and complex that when I first saw Elantris and the Mistborn novels I despaired. Relatively short books with back page summaries that were only mildly interesting didn't seem very promising. I bought Elantris for the sole purpose of judging for myself if Sanderson could pull off finishing WoT. Two days later I turned the last page, returned to the bookstore, and proceeded to clear the shelves of all available Brandon Sanderson books. Suffice to say, I think Sanderson is more than capable of finishing WoT.

I thoroughly enjoyed Elantris. I found the world fascinating, the characters wonderful, and the story completely engrossing. Sanderson has this way of making you care about his characters and their struggles that is hard to find in more recent fantasy novels.

It's unmistakably an early novel from a beginning author but even then it's still better than many other books I have read by established fantasy authors. Now, after the Mistborn Trilogy, Warbreaker, and The Way of Kings, I think it safe to say I wouldn't be surprised if Brandon Sanderson becomes one of the fantasy world's most famous names.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elantris.