Rachel's Reviews > The Illustrated Mum

The Illustrated Mum by Jacqueline Wilson

Jul 24, 2012

bookshelves: characters-that-remind-me-of-people

"The illustrated mum" is a story of a single mother and two daughters, Star and Dolphin. The mother, Marigold, (who we assume has some kind of mental problem, or maybe just influenced by her complicated past) doesn't think before she acts. She's covered head to foot in tattoos, goes out partying all night and can't seem to stay on the same task for more than a second. Dolphin thinks Marigold is beautiful and loves her. Star used to love Marigold and Dolphin but now she's not so sure. All of Star's friends assume Star is just a pretty popular girl, and Star wants to keep it that way, not letting them find out too much about Marigold. So when Star's real dad comes back, she takes the chance to go and live with him, leaving incapable Dolphin with Marigold on her own.

I would say this book was strong at the beginning and got weaker at the end. I suppose we were supposed to be seeing from Dolphin's point of view, but I saw it from people like Marigold, Star, Mickey and Oliver. But it really was quite touching so I give it 4/5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Illustrated Mum.