Ferdy's Reviews > Endlessly

Jul 27, 2012

liked it
Read from July 24 to 27, 2012

Spoilers

Evie is settling into life away from the clutches of the IPCA (International Paranormal Control Agency). She's going to high school, making new friends and her relationship with Lend is as strong as ever. Unfortunately, Evie's new life is threatened when she's once again pulled into paranormal chaos. Evie's asked to save all the paranormals by opening a gate that could very well kill her in order to send all the paranormals back to their original home. On top of that Evie has to deal with the IPCA wanting her back.

- I didn't like this one as much as the first book but it was still mostly enjoyable. The storyline felt a bit messy, for most of the book there didn't seem to be a strong enough arc running through it - Evie just seemed to plod along from one crisis to another. The ending did seem a tad rushed but since all the loose ends were tied up, I was satisfied with it.

- Evie's one of the better YA heroines (though that's not saying much). I did think she got a bit too Lend orientated especially when she should have been thinking about more important things. It gets boring when all the heroine's inner monologues revolve around how much they love their boyfriend - mentioning their boyfriend a handful of times is more than enough, pages and pages of it, is overkill. I was annoyed by how much Evie said bleep or bleeping - I wanted to strangle her, I hate when words and phrases are constantly repeated.
It was refreshing to read a heroine that doesn't scoff at anything 'girly' - like the colour pink, high heels, dresses and high school parties. Heroines that are loners, that hate dances, that hate school spirit and that don't like to dress up are overrated and overdone.
There were a few times that Evie came across as quite selfish but I actually didn't mind because I could see where she was coming from. It was also nice not reading about a Mary Sue heroine who without question happily risk their lives for everyone because it's the 'right thing to do'. I thought it was completely understandable that Evie had reservations since she's been constantly used her whole life, it was good that Evie wasn't just bending over backwards to risk her life for everyone.

- Lend was as wonderful and sweet as ever. It just goes to show that a well adjusted, respectful, happy guy can be just as swoonworthy (if not more) than a typical YA 'bad boy' hero.

-I was glad there was no love triangle even though Reth still wanted her, Evie was never confused or indecisive about who she should be with.

-I was disappointed in the development between Racquel and David. I thought it was pretty pathethic that Raquel hadn't moved on from Lend's dad after 18yrs - I mean he dumped her, fell in love with and married another woman, had a son and then loved his wife for 18yrs even though his wife left him. Why would any woman go back to a man that dumped them for another woman, had a happy life and family with someone else and then didn't even think about them for decades?? It was so sad that Racquel kept all those engagement pictures of her and David on her wall for 18+yrs - I wish Racquel had found love elsewhere.

-One thing I really loved was Evie having female friends in her life, it was great to see a heroine who valued the women in her life. Most heroines in YA books have hardly no positive female influences in their life - I think authors usually write it this way in order for their heroine to appear more speshul and worthy.

-The side characters were great - Carlee, Jack, Vivian.. I was impressed by how the author made Jack and Vivian who were more or less evil in previous books into sympathethic, layered and likeable characters. I wish there would be a spin off about Jack - I love his character.

-The humour is quite light - but Evie and Jack do have some hilarious moments and a few great one liners.

I do think this is one of the better YA series/trilogies out there especially if anyone likes quick, light, fun reads. I'll definitely be looking out for any of Kiersten White's new releases.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Endlessly.

Crystal Starr Light What do you think of this? I stopped reading this series after "Paranormacly" and was wondering if perhaps I could give the series a second chance.

message 2: by Ferdy (last edited Jul 26, 2012 12:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ferdy I'm half way through this and I'm liking it.. but if you didn't enjoy Paranormalcy, I don't think you'll like the rest of the series..I enjoyed the first book, the second book wasn't quite as good but I still liked it.. they're quite fun, light and forgettable reads - which is what I like to read a lot of the times:P

Crystal Starr Light Ferdy wrote: "I'm half way through this and I'm liking it.. but if you didn't enjoy Paranormalcy, I don't think you'll like the rest of the series..I enjoyed the first book, the second book wasn't quite as good ..."

I didn't hate Paranormalcy, but I think it just wasn't my thing. Also, I think I didn't want to get invested in yet another trilogy. Or maybe it was vampire/werewolf exhaustion.

Anyway, so glad you are liking it!! I can't wait to read your review!

message 4: by M. (new)

M. Are you satisfied with this final book? I liked the first one but I didn't get around to read the second because I heard it was sort of boring.

message 5: by Ferdy (last edited Jul 31, 2012 01:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ferdy Michelle wrote: "Are you satisfied with this final book? I liked the first one but I didn't get around to read the second because I heard it was sort of boring."

Yea I was satisified with it overall..I didn't find it as good as the 1st book but I thought it was better than the 2nd.. I did have some issues with it, like Evie being quite whiny and Lend obsessed for most of the book but even with it's problems I still found it enjoyable:)

message 6: by M. (new)

M. Well, the series is very YA, so I guess I can give it some slack.