Jasmeen's Reviews > Phase

Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: five-stars, published-2012
Read from July 24 to 25, 2012

4.5 Stars

They always say not to judge a book by its cover. I’m guilty of doing just that. I don’t know what it is about a gorgeous cover that just makes me want to read a book. Most of the time I’m left disappointed. Fortunately, this time I was not.

There are so many things that I just loved about this book, that I don’t know where to even being this review. It was phenomenal. It’s been so long since I just enjoyed a book so thoroughly. I’m the kind of person who tends to pick up on the writing as much as the plot. I tend to get annoyed by sloppy writing, and it makes it hard to enjoy the book. The writing in this book was like a fresh of breath air. It was tight and put together, but more than that, it was realistic. The main character had a voice that didn’t make me want to stab myself with a pencil. It didn’t come off as forced or trying too hard, it just came out naturally.

Sophie was a really enjoyable protagonist to follow. She was just so normal compared to other characters in other books. She was a smart girl, who made good grades and listened to her parents. She wasn’t whiney or bratty or annoying. I got a laugh out of some her twisted logic whenever she was trying to get her parents to see reason. Her parents acted like real parents, which is practically unheard of in the YA genre these days.

Jules, oh, Jules. I think I may have liked her even more than Sophie. She goes through changes in the book, which was amazing to see. Her character really developed though all the twists and turns but still remaining true to herself. I’m not sure I can explain what I mean without spoiling but you’ll probably understand what I mean if you read it. I want to see more of her, and more of her relationship. Let’s just say I’m a sucker for those relationships that have the character disliking each other.

The romance in the book was light, but it was there. I usually enjoy more romance in a book, but it worked here. I’m anxious to see more of Ezra and Micah in the future, and how their stories play out.

One thing I absolutely loved about this book, that no other werewolf/shifter book has done (well none that I have read, and I’ve read a lot) was cut out the misogyny. It wasn’t a male dominated world and females just lived in it. There was no guy being rude and possessive over a girl. The women in this book were strong, and it was very obvious that they made their own decisions for the most part. Yes they had to listen to the Alpha, but it was no different than the way that the males had to listen to the Alpha. They were all on even ground and I loved that. (view spoiler)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phase.

07/24/2012
24.0% "What is this? Parents acting like...parents? I'm really loving this so far."

E.C. Newman Wow, thank you so much!

Jasmeen E.C. wrote: "Wow, thank you so much!"

I think I should be thanking you for writing such a brilliant book.