Katie's Reviews > Carney's House Party

Carney's House Party by Maud Hart Lovelace

Re-read 7/23/11.

This book was a childhood favorite that I still really love! It's part of the Betsy-Tacy collection, which is a series of books based on the author's childhood. Most of them are in Betsy's point of view, but this one is Carney's. It's set the summer after Carney's sophomore year of college in the early 1900's. And knowing that this is when the author really grew up gives the book's setting so much authenticity!

Anyway, Carney hosts a house party, where several of her best friends come to stay at her house for a month. During this month, her childhood sweetheart, Larry, comes for a visit. (His departure was a plot thread in an earlier Betsy-Tacy books, so it's nice to see it picked up here!) He and Carney have written letters to each other for years and she's always felt that before getting serious about anyone else, she needed to see Larry again and determine what was between them. However, right before she Larry's arrival, she meets Sam. Sam's very different from Larry (and Carney!), but she bonds with him pretty much instantly.

So this makes it sound like love triangle and I suppose it technically is, but I've never really thought of it that way. I think because all the characters act very maturely and the resolution makes sense for everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carney's House Party.