LindyLouMac's Reviews > Addition

Addition by Toni Jordan

Nov 17, 08

Read in November, 2008

Another review I read referred to this book as quirky which I think is a good description. It is a strangely disturbing but at the same time humorous read. It is certainly a novel with a very unusual theme.

Grace Lisa Vandenburg counts due to the fact that she suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. This is a far from easy condition to live with and not an easy subject to write about in a humorous manner. Somehow Toni Jordan has succeeded and although I found the subject matter disturbing there is humour in this love story.
Grace counts just about everything in her life from letters in peoples names, steps she takes to get from place to another and the number of bites needed to eat a meal! The letters in her name (19) are identical to those of Seamus Joseph O’Reilly also a (19), the man she meets who befriends her, which helps her in those first tentative steps towards accepting his friendship.
Their relationship blooms but it takes Grace a long time to come to terms with the fact that although she will always have behavioural problems there are people who love her for herself. There is no doubt that Grace’s OCD has interfered with her life for many years and she has more than once made unsuccessful attempts to overcome it. Seamus is incredibly patient with Grace and eventually it all works out for them thanks to Grace realising that ‘Average does not mean normal’

I do not think this would make easy reading for anyone who themselves suffers from COD

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Addition.

11/13/2008 page 17
7.0% "A comedy that counts, (quote from front cover)right so far."