Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru's Reviews > Prince of Wolves

Prince of Wolves by Quinn Loftis

Another book I enjoyed more than I expected to. I kept avoiding this series because I was afraid I wouldn't like it. I was worried it would be cheesy with lackluster writing. I shouldn't assume so much. This turned out to be quite enjoyable once I was able to get to it. It wasn't the best book to read after A Storm of Swords, so I had to read something in between. Once I came back to it, I was able to have fun with this.

The book starts out with our heroine Jacque spying on her neighbors. They're getting an exchange student to host at their house, so Jacque's friends have asked her to scope him out since he'll be staying directly across the street from her. He shows up and we have a connection. Not insta-love because Jacque gets freaked when she suddenly hears a voice in her head. It takes her a bit, but she finally realizes that it's her hot new Romanian neighbor's voice. We learn from Fane, that Jacque is his mate. Why is she his mate? Because he's a werewolf. Not just any werewolf, but a werewolf Prince and future Alpha of the Romanian Pack. Lucky for him, the girl right across the street is the one meant for him.

Jacque and Fane flirt a little. She likes him, but she doesn't know why since she doesn't even know this dude. She does get comfy with having mind conversations with him pretty quickly, though. Still, she doesn't know right off that he's a werewolf. It isn't until an encounter while the two of them are out on a date that Fane realizes that he no longer has all the time in the world to court Jacque. The timetable gets pushed up quite a bit. Apparently, there is a Grey Pack in town and their Alpha warns Fane that he's already claimed Jacque and Fane needs to kick rocks and gtfo. Now with this situation popping up, Fane has to go into full disclosure mode. Jacque and her crew take all of this pretty well. There are some freakouts along the way, but no one does anything stupid.

I found I liked the way things played out. Granted, Jacque and Fane only knew each other for five days and they were in love so that was a little much for me. I think that even with things like mate bonds, the characters should be given some kind of time to get to know each other before they fall so hard for each other. I'd like to see the love grow. I will give that Jacque didn't fall right away. She admitted he was hot, but she wasn't insta-obsessed.

I thought we got to see a pretty colorful cast of characters in this book. Jacque's best friends Jen and Sally are pretty funny, especially Jen and it's obvious the girls are tight with each other. They stood by Jacque throughout all of this craziness. They're great friends.

My biggest problem while reading this was some of the language used. It felt stilted and forced at times. Some funny exchanges between characters didn't ring true to me. The timing felt off. Most of Jen's quips hit the mark, though.

All in all, this book got me interested in reading more of the series, so it looks like I will be continuing on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prince of Wolves.

09/22/2012
2.0% "Trying to decide if I can handle the hip talk these characters seem to be fond of. Maybe not the best choice to read after ASOI&F."
09/24/2012
4.0% "Interesting take on wolves."
09/24/2012
6.0% "Lol @ his mind gibberish"
09/24/2012
22.0% "Looks like you've got yourself a big problem, Fane."
09/25/2012
57.0% "I sure hope this Lucas dude is going to explain how he can have a claim on Jacque when she apparently doesn't know him."