Rachel (BAVR)'s Reviews > Love Me Not

Love Me Not by Eve Byron

Warning: GIFs ahead!

Remember how Historical Romance was in the 90s, fellow readers? The teeth-pulling level tediousness of two characters hating each others' fucking guts until the last ten pages or so? But in the end, you can't even bitch about it because the pacing was done in such a way that there wasn't one moment when you weren't entertained? Love Me Not reminded me of all that! I'm loving the 90s right now from the sheer nostalgia factor. I want to pack the 90s up in a fuzzy little box and carry it with me forever. I want to feed the 90s cookies and margaritas and tell it how "awesome" it is. I want to make sweet little over-dramatic babies with the 90s and unleash them on the unsuspecting and jaded 21st century.

Thank you, Year of 1996, for leaving this little gem of history to be found and reviewed in 2012 by a woman who is SICK TO DEATH of reading about boring dumb people who do nothing. Reading about dumb people who perform a mesmerizing collection of stupid acts is much more preferable.

Did the characters' actions make even a modicum of sense? Not really. If I met them in real life, would I even grudgingly respect main characters Kathleen and Damien?

Photobucket

Of course not! Damien and Kathleen are so mind-bogglingly stupid about the simplest of things (like sex and what feelings feel like) that I sometimes wished a secondary character would traipse into the scene and bonk their heads together like bumper cars battling to the death until one of them grew a brain cell. The story is so unapologetic about the stupidity, though, that I started to develop a modicum of respect for it. "Be not ashamed of wonky narrative devices," the book proclaimed. "Are you not entertained?"

An Illustration of the Plot Stupidity in this Book
Photobucket

And I was entertained, curse me to hell and back. I was.

Despite that, there's always a drawback to the books from the glory days of Love/Hate Relationship meets Mind-Numbing Big Misunderstandings. The headache. And the way I have to admit to myself that the characters, rather than behaving organically, were forced to do ridiculous things to prolong the plot to infinity and beyond.

The Story in a Nutshell:

Girl and brother grow up with abusive dad who isn't really their dad until a group of Big Bad Dukes come in a banish the abusive dad to America. Girl bases her entire outlook on love on her pathetic little mother, who despite being a COUNTESS, spends her life picking up the sex crumbs of a cold, unfeeling duke as his mistress. This guy is the girl's real father. Eventually, girl meets hero but doesn't want to love him because love destroyed her mother and she JUST WANTS TO BE FREE, DAMN IT! Seriously fucked-in-the-head suitor decides to pursue heroine after just a glance and recruits the abusive dad all the way from America to force her into marriage. Hero realizes that the only way to protect heroine from a marriage to Creepy McCreepster and from the loss of her inheritance to daddy dearest is by marrying her FOR THE TIME BEING. Heroine flips shit every other page because SHE JUST WANTS TO BE FREE! Hero does nice things. HEROINE HATES HIM BECAUSE SHE ISN'T FREE! At some point, girl proves that she knows nothing about sex. Rachel laughs for a freaking day about it. Eventually, girl falls in love and finally settles the fuck down. But, OH NO! While he's up for bluffin' with her muffin, hero is not down with this LOVE talk. Angst ensues. Oh, and the crazy suitor acts crazy until the end.

Entertaining? Yes. Rational? No. This one gets a solid 3 stars.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Me Not.

08/09/2012 page 17
5.0% "OMG, this book is so different. Stuff is actually happening! O.O

Quick, ladies, get me my smelling salts." 2 comments
08/10/2012 page 180
48.0% "Oh, goody, another heroine who doesn't understand how sex works! The hero and I got a great laugh out of that one. >:D" 10 comments

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah That bus gif. THAT BUS GIF! :D

*loves*

message 2: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie I want to marry this review. I want you to know that. :D

message 3: by Karla (new)

Karla Sarah wrote: "That bus gif. THAT BUS GIF! :D

*loves*"

I can't second that enough.

:D x 1000000000

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!} Omg this review was hilarious roflmfao

Rachel (BAVR) I've been waiting to use the bus gif for weeks now. Seriously. I saved it in my favorites and EVERYTHING. >:D

Rachel (BAVR) Kerrie wrote: "I want to marry this review. I want you to know that. :D"

Do you want to marry this review as much as I want to have babies with the 90s? :P And thanks!

Rabbit wrote: "Omg this review was hilarious roflmfao"

Snark is sometimes therapeutic for the soul. I'm glad you like it! :D

message 7: by Willow (new)

Willow Eventually, girl meets hero but doesn't want to love him because love destroyed her mother and she JUST WANTS TO BE FREE, DAMN IT!

I never understand stories like that. I really don't, and there are zillions of them from the seventies. I guess it was a women's lib thing that said it was better for a woman to live on her own, even though she's met the love of her life.

But then usually she falls for this over-dominating jerk, and you're like huh? LOL
And what was the premise then?

They are fun to read, I have to give it that. :)

message 8: by Willow (last edited Aug 15, 2012 09:27PM) (new)

Willow (¯`·..·♥Anna♥·..·´¯) wrote: "Great review! That bus gif killed me! Lol"

The bus gif is hilarious. Now I want a bus. LOLOL

Rachel (BAVR) (¯`·..·♥Anna♥·..·´¯) wrote: "Great review! That bus gif killed me! Lol"

Thanks, Anna!

Rachel (BAVR) Willow, it think it is a women's lib thing, or at least what these authors think a women's lib thing is. And you're right. The girls in these books typically fall for over-dominating jerks because that's apparently the only way to introduce conflict. IDK. And yet I read it up like it's the literary equivalent of potato chips, so joke's on me. :D

message 11: by Karla (new)

Karla Rachel (BAVR) wrote: "I've been waiting to use the bus gif for weeks now. Seriously. I saved it in my favorites and EVERYTHING. >:D"

TOTALLY WORTH THE WAIT. :D

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Rachel (BAVR) wrote: "I've been waiting to use the bus gif for weeks now. Seriously. I saved it in my favorites and EVERYTHING. >:D"

Ha! I have a demotivational poster that I'm saving as well. The time will come, though. Oooooh yes. I have faith it won't last through the pile of schmoopy romances on my fall TBR. >:)

message 13: by Karla (new)

Karla Every time I get a notification of a comment for this thread, I scroll up to watch the bus GIF again. :D

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Aug 18, 2012 12:50AM) (new)

Sarah Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "Every time I get a notification of a comment for this thread, I scroll up to watch the bus GIF again. :D"

YOU TOO? :D I love the little poofs of dust & exhaust, hahaha.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Your review made me giggle. :)