JoeM's Reviews > Bacardi and the Long Fight for Cuba

Bacardi and the Long Fight for Cuba by Tom Gjelten

Nov 28, 08

bookshelves: read-in-08
Recommended for: drinkers of rum or those interested in Cuban history.
Read in November, 2008

I liked this book. When I was younger, I knew members of the Bacardi family. I met them in Mexico City when I was in my early teens. Aside from the recognizable surname, I had no idea about their family history. This book presents the family's complex relationship with its homeland in as clear and seemingly unbiased way as possible given the history of the Cuban nation.

Some of the family members I know were in the book. I am now interested in hearing their reviews of the book and what they personally intend on doing when Cuba opens its doors to those who chose exile over remaining under Castro.

I appreciated the treatment and explanation of the complex nature of the family run business. Hard to imagine a global business such as Bacardi still being considered a "family" business.

My favorite parts of the book were the earlier portions of the book when discussing the founding of the family business around the time of Marti and Maceo (pre-Spanish American war). This family is Cuba, simple as that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bacardi and the Long Fight for Cuba.