Melanie Adkins's Reviews > Winds of Change

Winds of Change by Mary Metcalfe

Jul 24, 12

Read in July, 2012

Four people living life day to day but something was missing for each of them. Jennifer, a social worker, had just settled her father into a full time care facility. He was suffering with Alzheimer's. It was difficult but she knew it was for the best. Lana, a nurse at the Brentwood facility, was busy raising her son alone and taking care of herself. Her husband died very young. Mark had been in a deep depression since his mother died four years before. He was now looking for work and hoping to get back on track. Ben, Mark's father and a world renowned journalist, was retiring. He'd decided his son needed him more than he needed to add to his PTSD. Their lives collide and become more enriched. Jennifer is Mark's social worker and gets him the job as head gardener at Brentwood. Lana knew Jennifer from Brentwood and taking care of her father. Ben is introduced to both ladies through Mark. It may sound like a mess, but it's actually a love knot waiting to be pulled tight.

We all deal with changes in our lives, it's just the way things are. This book shows that it's really ok to embrace and accept those changes. Superb writing. Fantastic, full, rich characters who aren't perfect and a little boy to lighten it all makes this book one everyone will enjoy. I loved that these characters didn't have to change themselves, just redefine some areas that had long been swept away. Descriptions in this book, whether of land, monuments or the sea were extremely well done. They placed you right in the story. I'm sure we can all relate to at least one of these characters.

I didn't find any issues.

I gave this one 5 out of 5 books because it was so heartwarming and lovely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winds of Change.