cEe beE's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Aug 25, 12

bookshelves: dystopia-hysteria, drama-rama, hard-to-finish, humor-is-absent
Read from June 08 to August 24, 2012

I really struggled to finish this book, which I found strange because I really enjoyed Lauren Oliver's previous work, Before I Fall. Towards the end, I was skimming the pages, and it felt like I was racing against Lena and Alex as they ran towards the Wilds.

My main problem was the entire premise of Delirium and Shh. I find the notion that a society that has rid themselves of the ability to love yet retain the ability to be cruel and inhumane, very unlikely and improbable. If anything, I would expect them to be apathetic and incapable of feeling any type of strong emotion. Meanwhile, Lauren Oliver perfectly describes the process and state of falling in love. However, I could not fully appreciate her beautiful prose because I couldn't care less about Lena, the main character. She is self absorbed, in a constant state of anxiety, high strung, and totally humorless. She wonders why Alex would be interested in her because she thinks she's a "Nobody." And I totally agree.

The story only rates 2 stars from me but Oliver's writing elevates it to 3. I hope Pandemonium is better because I already bought it a while ago when it first came out.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

08/04/2012
54.0% "I'm halfway though but the premise about 'Shh' & it's world a little hard to accept. Plus Lena isn't all that interesting...yet."
08/21/2012
57.0% "I'm determined to finish this but It's sooooooo difficult!!"
08/23/2012
83.0% "I can see the finish line. Can't wait to end this."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn I liked Pandemonium much better than Delirium. Lena isn't quite so useless, and there's a lot more action. I was frustrated at first because there's a Past storyline (starting right after the fence) which isn't nearly as interesting as the Present storyline. Eventually, both stories do pick up.