Susan's Reviews > Widow's Might

liked it
bookshelves: arc-edition, mystery-horror-thriller
Read from July 12 to 18, 2012 — I own a copy

2.5 out of 5 stars

This first of this Liv Bergen mystery series, In the Belly of Jonah, entertained me despite its flaws. The second, Lot's Return to Sodom, was disappointing to me. I gave this new one a chance, hoping it would hold my interest as the first did but overcoming some of the flaws of the first work.

While this one didn't fall into that “wish I hadn't read it” category, it did disappoint. There were so many characters that there were too many words spent explaining how they all tied together. I want an exciting story when I read a mystery, a story that unfolds instead of having to be explained. I didn't like the environmentalist vs. rancher/miner stance.

There were still inaccuracies. A bee smoker capable of blasting someone left inside a house? Huh? Was it just sitting around, burning while in the house? Seemed pretty odd to me.

Too much stereotyping, too many references to Tate's big breasts, a clichéd romance. And an animal torture that I really didn't want to read about. Add them together and this one just didn't work for me.

I was given an advance reader's copy of this book for review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Widow's Might.