Jackie's Reviews > Bane

Aug 18, 12

bookshelves: netgalley-e-book, e-book-edition-for-review, read-in-2012
Read on August 17, 2012

BOOK SYNOPSIS

To protect those she loves from herself, Jax will leave them all behind.She’ll risk everything in a desperate search for answers.

Jax Pherson fled the darkest of covens and from her own father’s evil. For a brief moment, her courage was rewarded. She found everything she’d ever wanted. A normal life. An amazing boyfriend. An envy-worthy best friend.

But her past put them all in danger, forcing a confrontation with the dark covens. In a life-and-death battle to save those she loved from the covens, Jax gained staggering power. Power so intense, so dangerous, she fears the darkness that now dwells inside her like a living thing.

If she can’t control the power, she may yet become as evil as the witches she conquered.

With her cousin Egan, Jax leaves all she’s built and heads for the one place that might hold the answers she desperately needs to hold back the darkness—Salem, Massachusetts. Her research unearths a shocking discovery: the Bane, a secret group of witches dedicated to thwarting the covens.

Jax desperately needs their help in her fight against the covens, but finding the Bane is easier said than done and takes all her skills and courage. As Jax gets closer, her dark powers began rise and control her actions. If she succumbs to the darkness, Jax may have as much to fear from the Bane as the evil covens and the determined hunter on her trail.

My Thoughts

Having enjoyed from beginning to end watching the story unfold at a fairly fast pace while reading White Witch I was really anxious to pick up the action in book 2 Bane . However much my wish for the action to stay first and foremost as the main catalyst to the story there was very little until near the end of the book, rather the author slowed things down and spent time building on the world she had already created and fleshing it out.

Bane does not have the momentum that was such a draw to keep reading in White Witch , this second book is more of a "learning curve" for both the reader as well as Jax, it is also more intense as well. Besides all the tedious hours and days of research that Jax and Egan undergo in their search for answers on how to fight the dark covens there are a few new characters to meet once the pair reach Salem Massachusetts.

I enjoyed seeing Jax become more focused on the end goal of not only defeating the covens to save herself and Egan but also to free normal human inhabitants of the threat that they posed. The power that Jax had used at the fight at Shiprock outside Baker's Gap is also a growing concern, she finds that the darkness inside her is growing and becoming harder and harder to control.

Finding members of the Bane, with the help of her new allies Rule his mother Adele and Grandmother Fiona, is the number one task that Jax sets her sight on. She feels that if she can only discover how they have managed to overcome the dark powers that are part of their heritage as descendants of the original Salem witches that the fight she is going to have to wage with the members of the dark covens could be won. The problem is once Jax finds the members of the Bane will they be more of a help or a threat to she and her friends, only time is going to tell on that one as it is hinted at in this story but not totally revealed.

When all is said and done the book is still an interesting, easy and engaging read. Kellar and Toni once again make an appearance, lending their help and support despite the objections posed by both Jax and Egan. It was one of the highlights of the story for me when the barriers between the two couples came down and they both admitted that it was far better they all stay together and fight as a team then split up and have less of a chance of any of them surviving the battles to come.

Author Trish Milburn sets the stage for book 3 "Magick" after another cliffhanger ending which quite frankly was the most action in the entire story.

I am still excited to see where this is going even though it seems to me that instead of three short books the entire story could have been put in one full length book by cutting some of the "dead areas" in books 1 and 2.

Thank goodness "Magick" is set to release soon so my eagerness to see how the final battle between Jax and the covens comes out is appeased!

[Netgalley EArc for honest review.]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bane.

08/17/2012
52.0% "Research, research and more research so far. I think we need some action soon!"
08/17/2012
100.0% "Another cliffhanger ending but at least the beginning to book 3 "Magician" helped smooth my frustration a bit."
08/17/2012
100.0% "Another cliffhanger ending but at least the beginning to book 3 "Magick" helped smooth my frustration a bit."