Jo.'s Reviews > Thirteen

Thirteen by Kelley Armstrong

Jul 24, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy-and-horror
Read in July, 2012

** spoiler alert ** When it comes to the end (at least for now) of a much-loved series, there's always a huge sense of anticipation and, in my previous experience, the inevitable let down when it's over. With other series finales, I've been disappointed with either the way everything's wrapped up too neatly - or the way the ending completely negates everything that's gone before.

Not with '13', the final novel - for now - in the Women of the Otherworld series.

Though Savannah is the narrator of the novel, each of the other women we've had a chance to get to know throughout the series are given a chapter of their own in which we see what's happening from their point of view. Usually, I'm not a fan of the switch in POV but it really worked for this novel - and felt like the reader was able to say goodbye to everyone.

The story itself was full of twists and turns - some of them long-time fans of the series might have guessed at, others came out of nowhere and were a very welcome surprise. The conclusion of the final three books in the series - Savannah's triology - was neat and concise but still left lots of room for Kelley Armstrong to revisit in the future, which, according to the Author's Note at the back of the book, she plans to do with an anthology in 2014. (Can't. Wait. Seriously.)

As much as I love the romantic element in every story in this series - and as much as I appreciated all of my favourite couples getting their moments in this novel - to me, my favourite parts were the scenes that showed how far the friendships between the women we've met have come. From Jaime and Eve, to Paige and Savannah, Elena and Hope, Savannah and Cassandra, the novel really showed how close these women have become.

I really loved the deepening of the relationship between Savannah and Eve, and the bittersweet realisation that they're both okay without the other. They have their own lives and, as much as they love each other, those lives are separate. My first thought was that Eve's time in the mortal realm was too short but, the more I read the novel, the more I thought it was perfectly done - she had enough time to meet the people that are important to her daughter, to really 'meet' Jaime, and then she was needed back on the otherside to help fight the battle from there.

'13' is a satisfying conclusion to the series - there's enough action/horror/romance/humour to keep readers enthralled to the very last page, along with a few surprises in the final chapters that I'd love to see touched on in later novellas/anthologies.

As for the open ended storylines - what happens with the Nast Cabal, whether Lucas will take the reigns of the Cortez Cabal, how Cassandra and Aaron cope with the change in their situation and how that werewolf twist will be resolved - I'm looking forward to getting answers, but don't feel like I'm mising out on anything because some mysteries stil remain.

For those wondering whether it's worth getting the hardback version of the book for the exclusive Elena short story, I'd definitely say it is if you're a fan of the werewolves. It brings the whole series full circle and shows the future of the Pack is stronger, brighter than it has been in a long, long time.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteen.

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Parker I just finished it and I'm so sad it's all over! But read it all in one day - seriously epic.