Lara's Reviews > Serena

Serena by Ron Rash

Nov 20, 08

bookshelves: for-harper-collins
Read in November, 2008

I would give this three & a half stars if I had that option. Sadly, I do not. I feel a bit shmuckish for not enjoying this book more than I did, and after some serious pondering I have come to the conclusion that I would probably have loved this book if I had a Y chromosome.

Seriously.

It's not that it isn't entertaining. I just couldn't really get myself to give two craps about any of the characters. And I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to find any of it realistic. (I mean, seriously? They are so in love that they have crazy awesome sex every single night, and not one single night is one of them like, "Uh, not tonight, honey, I have a headache"? Yeah, right.

But see, if I were male, I would totally dig that.

Not to mention the immediate knife-fight scene and all the other manly punches throughout the book.

I said earlier that it's not that it isn't entertaining, and I meant it. I also think it's not that the book is poorly written - because, damn, there are some incredible passages. (Don't believe me? Skip to page 71, the very last paragraph, and read down mid-way to page 72. Bears have never EVER seemed so real.)

What? You don't want to go find that passage? fine. I'll give you a teaser sentence:
"He smelled the bear, the musk of its fur, its spilling blood, smelled the forest itself in the earthy linger of acorn each time the bear exhaled."

Ultimately, I really do think it comes down to my general femaleness. We'll test this out when I wrap this book up and give it to my dad for Christmas to see what he thinks of it.

And - lest you think I'm a total cheapskate - my dad is impossible to buy for, partly because if he wants anything he buys it for himself, and partly because he doesn't want me or my sister to spend much money on him. Even if he doesn't love the book, he'll love the fact that I got it for free and then re-gifted it to him.

But I digress.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serena.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt LMAO!! Love your review. I am reading it right now. Not too impressed. WAY too much descriptions about trees, shrubs, and all that. I don't like Serena much either.

Lara Tara wrote: "LMAO!! Love your review. I am reading it right now. Not too impressed. WAY too much descriptions about trees, shrubs, and all that. I don't like Serena much either. "

Thanks! I'm thrilled to amuse!

Martin I'll add my bleh to your bleh. Two Rashes and I'm done now with Rash. Life is too short for only 3 stars.

message 4: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa LMAO! You're hilarious.

Cindy I felt pretty much the same way you did about this book. Rash's story & characters are lacking, but the way he weaves certain words into stunning sentences is delicious. I quoted one of his lines as well in my review, which was also 3 stars. Looking forward to the movie to watch JL & BC take these characters to a new level!

Heather Almost finished with the book and I completely agree with your review. I'll finish it because I'm listening to it in the car and it finally started to get a little interesting now that Serena is losing her mind, officially. I am hoping that the movie redeems this book. There is so much potential in these characters that the book doesn't have. JL and BC can make this amazing (fingers crossed).

message 7: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Lazorova Lovely review, I wanted to read it once, but couldn't finish...though movie adaption can be good with Jennifer Lawrence, she is fine actress:)

message 8: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Lazorova And I don't like Bradley Cooper, never liked him

Sarah I couldn't figure out why I was feeling the same way but you nailed it!