Khalid's Reviews > Tikitian Imprints: A Story about the Real Reasons behind the Good Reasons

Tikitian Imprints by Hatem H. Eleishi

Jan 15, 09

bookshelves: to-buy, already-read
Recommended to Khalid by: Anoud
Read in January, 2009

Tikitian Imprints is a story that discusses how we humans came to be the way we are. It does it by taking us into Tikita where a couple is sent to Earth with no memory of the past. This couple starts to discover their surroundings and develop an understanding of their world. Later on, they meet some tribal people, and end up interacting with them and learning more about the world from them.

The idea of the book is quite interesting, but the implementation in my opinion - isn't as good. After some really interesting initial chapters after the first chapter, the story turns into some rather boring discussions of philosophy between Habi, the main character of the story, and the people of the tribe. In these conversations, the author simply is giving us his own philosophical ideas. I personally do not like this style of sharing information. If he simply wants to discuss a philosophical matter, he could write a non-fiction book and share it there. If he wants to show it in a novel, he's going to have to do better than just simply putting it in conversation.

There were a couple of other things I didn't appreciate. At times, I felt cheated by the author, since he chooses to be quite simplistic in his descriptions at times, to show how Habi is a simple person; and at other times, the conversation would go into deep concepts and use some big words. Not a good idea.

Additionally, I felt that Sheeba, his wife, was mostly a passive character in the story, put totally in the background. I believe including her in some interactions and conversations and showing us how she thought for a change would have been a good idea.

Moreover, the first and final chapters were confusing and didn't add much value to the book. I think the book would have been much stronger without them.

I still would give the author credit for an interesting idea, and a good attempt. After all, he's not a native English speaker (and it shows in the text), and it is probably his first book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tikitian Imprints.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nojood (new)

Nojood Alsudairi You should read The Black Swan if you like this kind of book Khaled.

Khalid I've got The Black Swan, and I started reading it, but stopped at around page 80. It isn't an easy read, and the author does not have a smooth writing style.

I hope to get back to it some day, but I have a long list of books to finish first.

message 3: by Nojood (new)

Nojood Alsudairi I know! "So many books, so little time"!

message 4: by Anoud (last edited Mar 01, 2009 03:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anoud Boring discussion of philosophy :S !! .. loool

I agree with part of what you said. The idea of the book is interesting but the author didn't implement it properly. The first chapters talk about habi's and sheeba's experience of discovering their surroundings, as you said, and then suddenly the series of events stops and turns into a series of conversations. Now I didn't find any problem in how the author used conversations and discussions to explain his philosophic point of view (I'll get back to this immediately) but I didn't like how he 'accumulated' all these discussions at the end. I mean if you take a look at the book as a whole, it doesn't seem like a novel at all. It's more like separated sections that are in 'somehow' interrelated. Firstly, there is the first chapter where he introduces an overview of the human beings' complex nature. Secondly, he switches into an "illustrative"! example, which is the story of habi and sheeba just to smoothen the way to his philosophical perspectives which come at almost the last section (" the non-fictional" part).

Also if you noticed (I'm sure you did) that there are no any descriptions for the characters' appearance or the places. So I think it was pretty clear that the author's main focus was only on his philosophic point of view which eventually led him to improper implementation…. What do you think?

As for the way he used to discuss his own philosophy, I really loved how he chose to express it through a couple of conversations and discussions yet I wished these discussions were woven throughout the story and not clustered in one part only. For me, I believe that the way he chose to write the book was a really good way rather than writing it as a non-fiction. Yeah it could be better but still the approach he used is so fine with me. The story of habi, sheeba and changes they have been through smoothens, as I just said, the way to the author to introduce his philosophic matter. In the same time, it enables the reader's mind to effectively absorb the matter discussed. And believe me such a way works amazingly with people, like me, who are not interested in philosophy or probably can't get it if it was written in a pure mannar :D

Oh you're right this is his first book. and what I know is this book actually is a cluster of philosophical articles he's been writing for 10 years. and currently his writing another book with the same style (different philosophic matter expressed through a simple story ) SO, guess what am I thinking of :D ?? Allow me to suggest the following; since you've got good comments, why don't you send him your review. I can give you his email if you like to 'cause I'm sure your feedback will add a value. What do you think?

The first part of the discussion ends here :D …. I'll come back with more later on inshallah