Rosemari's Reviews > Home

Home by Toni Morrison

Jul 24, 12

Read in June, 2012

I never have time to review anything seriously, but I'm always reading. "Home" was a real disappointment because it read like perhaps a tenth draft for me as a writer, but a first draft for Morrison. I was stunned and need to read it again (how will I find time, so many good books, and trying to write my own!).
I have too much respect for Morrison to accept that this book was as formulaic as I found it. There has to be something else there. Please let me know if you found it. However, I wasn't thrilled about "a mercy" as well. It too I found formulaic.
The few reviews of "Home" I've read were glowing, which I thought was perhaps because reviewers are jaded when it comes to Morrison, relieved that she continues to write the same story about people who manage to live some kind of lives regardless of oppression and manage to heal themselves at the end. That story or atleast the way Morrison tells it, no longer amazes or rips your heart out like "Beloved", and her many other masterpieces. Lost its righteous sting! How many master works does one author have to give?
There are many non-fiction books like "Twelve Years A Slave" that I do find compelling. Still I'll always read every book Morrison writes.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.

message 1: by Myron (new)

Myron Brown I think you hit the nail on the head. There is more to our story than survival and there are stories about survival that are more compellingly told.Yes, Toni Morrison is one of America's greatest authors but this story seems bound by a worldview that limits the possiblities that exist within the plot and limits what she tells us about the characters. In fact there's more tell than show and I come out of this novella not caring much more about what was going on than I did when I started reading the book.

message 2: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki Green I haven't actually read this book yet, and your review has been the most hopeful to make me understand some of the issues I may end up having if I read it and therefore where to place it on my immence reading list!

From the synopsis I understand that it is a survival story, which I am very fond off and I thought I might recommend my favourite survival story I have come accross so far. "In the shadowl of the Banyan" by Vaddey Ratner is a very beutiful book with amazing prose and I think is not as formulaic as what you suggest Home is.

Thank you for your honest review and good luck with your writing!