Jeannine's Reviews > Glaciers

Glaciers by Alexis M. Smith

Jul 27, 12

Read from July 24 to 27, 2012

This book has a very dreamy quality about it and as it covers one day (with flashbacked memories interwoven) of Isabel's life, it's pace is like a stroll rather than a race. And it's quiet.

As someone who is reading a lot on kindle of late, I actually bought this in book-form because of its satisfying size (smaller than most novels). The print is elegant, the paper is high quality and deckle-edged, and I adore how the margins on each page are pretty wide. It's just a visually and texturally satisfying little book to hold.

The story is ok (read any of the synopsi available). The writing is very good, lots of lovely imagery and a few illuminating insights. I tend to bristle at any representation of the military in any media, being the wife of a retired Marine I'm a little sensitive to innacurate portrayals (hint: almost nobody gets it right), but I found this author's take to at least be fair.

If you're looking for something fast-paced and plot-driven, this isn't the book for you. If you're looking to read something a little quirky and dreamy, character driven, and a little poetic, then maybe it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glaciers.

Quotes Jeannine Liked

Alexis M. Smith
“It's a strange product of infatuation, she thinks. To want to tell someone about mundane things. The awareness of another person suddenly sharpens your senses, so that the little things come into focus and the world seems more beautiful and complicated.”
Alexis M. Smith, Glaciers