Lynna Banning's Reviews > The Healer of Fox Hollow

The Healer of Fox Hollow by Joann Rose Leonard

Jul 24, 12

Read in July, 2012

This is a unique book! Set in the Tennessee hills of the 1950s, it is the moving story of people and culture I had no idea about. The writing is inventive and at times lushly sensual, for instance a "July afternoon full of insect hum" and a breeze described as "trees exchanging breaths like lovers."

I particularly liked the portrait of the father, Ed, a down-to-earth, unlettered, hard-working and loving man with whom I suffered as he agonized about his daughter, Layla. Layla as a child is presented most charmingly--her thoughts and feelings so fresh and natural it gave me a little shiver of pleasure when I'd come across one.

Also of note is the setting--the places, the people--from the kindly doctor to the sheriff to the preachy preacher and the loving and solicitous Aunt Ada... and more-- the culture, so different from ours in the 21st century (we could certainly learn a lot from theirs!) and the almost magical story line. It also has a sensitive and tender description of blooming love...

Highly recommended!

Lynna Banning

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Healer of Fox Hollow.