Ashish's Reviews > The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

Jul 24, 2012

bookshelves: scifi, drama
Read in July, 2012

There are two kinds of sci-fi; one, technological, where we extrapolate where technology will go; and two, sociological, where we imagine how that technology will change who we are. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a classic example of the latter, a brilliant deconstruction of the art of revolution and political conspiracy, practically a handbook, with a little lesson in orbital mechanics and their military applications thrown in for free. It's more political science than science fiction, yet it's tense, fast-paced, complex yet gripping, taking us through massively-scoped scenarios of political and social control - very high-level concepts that somehow grab and hold your atention, getting you to learn as well in the process. Gradisil tried this and turned into a soap opera.
Unbelievably, this novel is almost half a century old; yet still fits perfectly with our world and times. I guess that's the hallmark of great sci-fi; for how long it can remain relevant. From the looks of it, TMIAHM can easily do its century.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.