Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > The Gilded Fan

The Gilded Fan by Christina Courtenay

Jan 11, 13

bookshelves: 2013-release, historical-fiction, romance, kindle, 2012-release
Read from December 16 to 21, 2012

This is the sequel to Scarlet Kimono. I think Scarlet Kimono is my favorite story still by Courtenay, mainly because of the adventure and the exotic setting, but this is just as well-written and has to be my favorite heroine.

Midori's parents are dead and her own country is exiling half-breeds like her. She's half Japanese, half foreigner, and during the time this book takes place, they were exiling all Christians whether they practiced or not, including those of Japanese blood, and though Midori doesn't practice Christianity, she must leave to save her life.

And this is why she runs into a group of seamen at camp and ends up in a sword fight. This is why she meets Nicco, the captain of a trading ship. This girl is imprisoned, put on a ship full of horny, vengeful men, drugged in an opium den, and yet still lands with dignity and grace in Plymouth England...where she has to suddenly convert to Puritan religion and customs.

Majority of us would have broke down at some point, but Midori handles everything life throws at her. She doesn't need a man. She proves time and time again she can do just fine without Nicco, the captain who has stolen her heart. Matter of fact, she turns him down at first.

I'm not done. Read the rest on Book Babe: http://wwwbookbabe.blogspot.com/2013/...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gilded Fan.