Emily (Book Jems)'s Reviews > A Season for Sin

A Season for Sin by Vicky Dreiling

As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!

2.5/5 Stars

This wasn't a book. Or even a novella. This was a prequel.

That's where this went wrong. I was expecting a full story, not an abrupt ending that will continue in the next book. Besides that I really enjoyed it, but I feel jipped so I can't give the story more than three stars. It was too incomplete and let a lot of unanswered question. I hate when authors do that.

A Season for Sin begins with the Earl of Bellingham - or Bell, as he prefers to be called - dismissing his current mistress. With the way he spoke of her in the beginning, I actually thought that she would be his love. She wasn't. Laura Davenport, or the Widow Lady Chesterfield and her stepson, Justin are introduced next. They have just moved to the city to become a better part of society. The two main characters are brought together by circumstance as Justin becomes an unruly, uncontrollable teenager. Out of intrigue and lust, Bell decides to offer his help in reforming Justin. That is where the story abruptly ends at sixty-nine percent. Insert sad sigh here. We are given a preview of the first book in the series, but it's not enough to satisfy my hunger.

I liked the characters very much. Except Justin, because I don't like douchebags… er… boys who disrespect their mothers. Bellingham is interesting and I can't wait to learn more about his past. There are definitely some secrets buried under that gruff exterior. The minor characters only add to the story. Bell's friends, Harry Norcliffe, Viscount Evermore and Colin Brockhurst, Earl of Ravenshire, add a comedic relief. Bell definite gets more than he bargained for when he befriends them. I also really enjoyed Laura's friend, Virginia Holt. She's a true character and I'm sure she will be playing a larger role in the next book. By the end of this prequel, we all know that Virginia, better known as Lady Atherton is hoping for Laura and Bell to get together. (As the audience is, as well.)

A Season of Sin was not what I was expecting, but I don't regret requesting this book off of Netgalley. I've wanted to read Vicky Dreiling's work for a while and I'm glad I was finally able to get a taste of her work. The first book in the series will definitely find its way onto my to-read list. I'm excited to see where Ms. Dreiling takes the story next. She has the opportunity to an captivating story. But the request and blurb were definitely misleading.

I received an e-copy of this novel from the publisher via Netgalley.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Season for Sin.