Jean-Marc's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

M 50x66
Dec 27, 2015

Read in December, 2015

** spoiler alert ** Great fantasy book, excellent world building and a good set of characters. There is a lot more in this book than just the classic conflict stuff in fantasy books. It talks a lot about music, literary matters, how to learn, how to love, etc.

What I enjoyed the most of this book it it `density`. There is a lot of story/stuff in each chapter. Also this book is really well written with a lot interesting descriptions and dialogues. The main character kvothe is interesting and is not a cardboard good character. Some of the stuff that happens to him is really heartbreaking (the scene where his father lute is broken is really hard to read) and justify some of the harshest aspect of his character.

But I would also understand why somebody would not like this book (which is why I give it a 4 not a 5). There a few times (many?) where I felt manipulated by the story. Why Kvothe cannot go to the archive? This seems to be a deux machina device for simply preventing Kvothe to learn too much of what is going on, and spread the information to the readers in book 2 and 3. Also I was annoyed by the main `love story`. I have nothing against Denna, but all the complication and events that conspire to prevent them for a more `normal` relationship becomes annoying.

I am starting to read book 2 and I know book 3 is not out yet, so my overall opinion may change once the full story of Kvothe is available

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

12/27/2015 marked as: read