Sugar's Reviews > The Eternal Ones

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

Jul 24, 2012

Review:

The Eternal Ones wasn’t very original, didn’t have amazing or memorable characters and, overall, it just wasn’t anything extraordinary. Nevertheless, I truly madly deeply enjoyed this book! I’m not able to completely explain my fondness for it but I finished it in about 6 hours, it just flowed so smoothly and it was over before I even noticed.

I usually don’t really fancy books where it takes a big portion till the story actually takes off or the hero/heroine is introduced in case of a romance. It is essential that it has to be written awesomely for it to appeal to me that way, otherwise, it may come across as an extremely long prologue. The plot of The Eternal Ones took considerable time till it got to that point but I think it really worked in its favor. I enjoyed the lengthy build up, back-story, the circumstances and I was emotionally prepared for the second part of the book.

The mystery, the uncertainty, the constant doubt on what is going on and different motives was something that really appealed to me in this book. I liked that I couldn’t be certain of anything, the atmosphere had a quite dark and somewhat threatening undertone and found it refreshing and intriguing.

Characters:

Haven the heroine was hasty, self-centered and, extremely distrusting and indecisive. At one point I found it ridiculous how many times she could change from believing in Iain and then back to doubting him again. She was suspicious and tended to think the worst of her supposed soul mate. What’s more all the mistrust was mostly brought forward by everyone except Iain himself. He did tell a few fibs but Haven basing her understanding on those and throwing them at Iain’s face was very childish. They spend time together, live together, kiss, etc, and all the time Haven is contemplating against him. Please, Haven, if you have doubts, please TALK and be straight forward with Iain about your issues. Of course, Iain too should have been more open with her. Other than that I admired Haven’s willingness to take risks and, overall, her strength through all that happened to her, especially in her hometown. The behavior of almost all people there was immensely disgusting and it reminded me of ignorant and immature brats. I really felt for Haven, Beau and others who suffered.

I’m certain that most would write Iain off as being bland or too underdeveloped. I, even though I find such heroes extremely lackluster, found him to be very compelling and adored the mysteriousness of his character. Of course, I would have eagerly accepted any more detailed info regarding him, but I think the lack of knowledge worked in his favor in the sense that you couldn’t be 100% positive on his motives, thoughts or even if what he said was true or not. I would have, however, appreciated some insight into his affairs from his point of view, because he came across too distant and out of place in the storyline at times.

I would have appreciated more build up and a stronger basis for the relationship between Haven and Iain. I guess from Iain’s side it wasn’t necessary but Haven obviously needed more to understand and trust in her bond with Iain. He expected to carry on from where they left off but the situation wasn’t as clear for Haven and this also brought forth all the mistrust and uncertainty. Nevertheless, I found them good together but they would have gained a lot more credibility from more scenes between the two.

The secondary characters, next to the mystery, were definitely my second best part of this book. Leah was quirky, confident and helpful. Beau was like a role model to how best friends could be. He was always there for Haven, stood by her through her whining and never-ending issues, and just generally was a friend with a capital F. In addition, I found the revelation regarding him in the end to be so adorable. The villain of the story was to some degree a surprise. But, oh, what a great adversary he turned out to be. He was just so creepy, cold and despicable that I loved him, regardless if his motives weren’t entirely convincingly explained. Also, the question of what and who exactly he is wasn’t answered, even though, an intriguing possibility was thrown out there to mull over.

Overall:

I can understand the various drawbacks of this book and I can even detect and acknowledge them. Still, I really enjoyed it and somehow all the shortcomings came together and combined an engaging story for my tastes. I like!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eternal Ones.