Rachel's Reviews > Starters

Starters by Lissa Price

Jul 29, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, dystopian, science-fiction, young-adult
Read in July, 2012

Teen dystopia novels are everywhere these days and they start to run together after a while. I think that Starters was original enough to stand out in the crowd. Callie was a strong, smart, likeable heroine. She is, of course, the center of a love triangle. I really didn't feel like there was much chemistry with either boy - Michael or Blake. And I think I can say without giving anything away that a certain point Callie remaining interested in Blake got pretty creepy. Luckily, the romance wasn't a huge part of the book.

The central plot involving Callie trying to figure out what Prime Destinations was up to kept me guessing and took several unexpected turns. The ending was haunting and left me eagerly anticipating the next book in the series.

There are two e-book prequels for this series, Portrait of a Starter and Portrait of a Marshal, that I'm assuming add some more details to the world-building. These books are $1.99 each and the first is only 15 pages long and the second is only 30 pages long. I find it ridiculous to have to pay four dollars for 45 pages of content.

Even though the e-book prequel situation irritates me and I probably won't buy them, I'm really looking forward to the sequel, Enders, which is scheduled to be released in December.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starters.