Kate's Reviews > Messenger

Messenger by Lois Lowry

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: 2012, age-middlegrade, age-ya, dystopia, audiobooks
Read from July 24 to August 01, 2012

Matty, who we first met in Gathering Blue, lives a peaceful life in Village with the Seer, Kira's father. He has developed the gift of healing but keeps it secret, instead hoping that his true name will be Messenger. True names are given by Leader, who we first met as Jonas in The Giver. Slowly, Matty and Seer begin to realize that something is wrong in Village and growing more wrong, until Matty must leave on a journey through the treacherous Forest to find Kira.

I did not like this story as much as The Giver and Gathering Blue, although I liked that the first two stories are connected and we see a bit more about the world they live in. While I liked Matt in Gathering Blue, here I felt like he was purposefully ignoring things. I'm not sure why one would want to hide a healing power, or not use it when it seems like it would obviously help. I have a hard time grasping this world that seems to be our society in the future, but with all the magic I don't buy it. In that way, I wish it had been more realistic. In Gathering Blue I could imagine that Kira's gift with the threads was basically creativity, but here she actually sees the future and the tapestry changes after she's sewn it, which didn't seem right. But looking back, Jonas's gift also seemed unrealistic. I don't think there really needed to be magic involved in the "gifts," Jonas could have learned the memories of his people from reading books or something.

I have seen that there will be another book in this series called Son, but I'm not sure I will read it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Messenger.