Magan (Rather Be Reading)'s Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Oct 10, 12

bookshelves: jan-2012-releases, own-arc, want-to-own, 2012-reads
Recommended to Magan (Rather Be Reading) by: Tara (Fiction Folio)
Read from July 24 to 27, 2012

[Review originally published on Rather Be Reading!]

You know those books you see pop up a TON on review blogs? You read incredible reviews for the book and add it to your TBR list on Goodreads, but somehow it takes you months to pick it up?

Yup, that was me with Cinder.

I sincerely wish a blog had blatantly stated SKIP EVERYTHING ELSE AND READ THIS NOW. I absolutely loved Cinder that much. So, this is me telling you to stop what you’re doing and read Cinder immediately.

Fairy tale retellings are a popular thing right now. It’s such a great way for us big kids to relive the stories we used to adore as children, but with a shiny new twist on things. Cinder was precisely that for me – unique and artistic, fresh, and oh-so-good.

Meyer took a lot of creative liberties and didn’t follow the original Cinderella to a T. It’s set in the future and our beloved Cinder is a cyborg, a human that’s been “fixed” by having a foot and an arm replaced with engineered, metal ones. Her step-mother is as atrocious as ever, but the circumstances are different. Cinder is adopted into the family by her step-father (who does, as in the original, pass away). She’s one of the best mechanics in town and undertakes as much work as she can to provide the cushy life her step-mother has grown accustomed to.

Cinder is a mere sixteen years old, but she’s tough and unbreakable. (I suppose having a wretched step-mother can callous you.) I loved her hard core attitude and the way she fumbled over her words when she was in the presence of Prince Kai when they first met. Kai isn’t your stereotypical arrogant/conceited/egotistical prince. He’s a little quirky, very funny, kind and tender-hearted. He was so sweet and immediately had my heart swooning.

Part of the brilliance of Cinder was that the entire cast of characters felt so fully developed. I connected and sympathized with Cinder, but my love wasn’t just for her. All the layers of Kai were peeled back, allowing us to see him for more than just a prince. (I wrote a list of moments I adored with him: when his father passes away, when Cinder arrives at the ball, quiet moments with her in the elevator, and meeting Cinder for the very first time at the festival.) But Meyer didn’t stop the amazingness with the primary characters. She gave Cinder an opinionated, original robotic friend, Iko and the sweetest, most innocent younger step-sister, Peony. Iko and Peony helped show us more than Cinder’s abrasive, distrusting side.

Oftentimes, I dislike when I can guess where a plot is headed (I like to be outsmarted by the author). Something I’ve learned to really like about Meyer’s writing is that she gives her readers just enough subtle hints without spoiling it entirely. Instead of feeling let down that I guessed the ending, I felt a rush as my suspicions were confirmed because I felt like I knew something Cinder didn’t know. I do think Meyer is intentional in the little breadcrumb hints she leaves along the way – she builds anticipation by allowing us to know things and be surprised when the truth is revealed to the characters.

I could go on and on about my love for Cinder, but I hope you’ll take my word for it and pick it up soon. You’ll want to be prepared for the sequel, Scarlet, to come out in February! (This time we get to meet Little Red Riding Hood!)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

07/25/2012 page 68
18.0% "I hate this stepmother more than the original Cinderella one." 1 comment
07/25/2012 page 116
30.0% "Think I know where this is headed, but really love the story & world." 3 comments
07/27/2012 page 285
74.0% "I DO NOT WANT IT TO END!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alice ♔ YAY! So glad you loved this one Magan. <3

Magan (Rather Be Reading) Alice ♔ wrote: "YAY! So glad you loved this one Magan. <3"

Oh, Alice! I LOOOOOOVED this one! Cannot wait to read Scarlet! :)

Alice ♔ YAYYYYY. :D Oh I am dying for Scarlet. What do you think of the cover? I love it. Ahhh.