Louise's Reviews > Captive in the Dark

Captive in the Dark by C.J. Roberts

F 50x66
Jul 24, 12

Read from July 17 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

While I won't choose a book because it has some elements of consensual power exchange, I won't shy away from it either. The fact this story was clearly not about anything resembling “consensual” was a deterrent as I didn’t want to read a book that glorified the human sex trade. My final choice to read the book was based on the reviews along, so good job to those that took the time to write one!!

This story did not glorify anything. There are no heros… there are no damsels. In my mind, this is the way it REALLY went down in all those love-hate romances I read as a teenager. This is what REALLY happened on that pirate ship when the young girl got caught being a stow-away by the dashing pirate. This is what really happened when the reckless, young duchess was caught spying by the ruthless highlander in Scotland. This is REALLY what happened between Wolfgar and Aislinn. These are some seriously damaged characters… one becomes less damaged as the book progresses and one becomes more so.

I didn’t “enjoy” this book but I was captivated (pun-intended because I can’t help myself) by it and I do recommend it. I will be buying the second the book the day it comes out but the fact that the author split is why it’s only getting 4 stars instead of 5 (not that I’m bitter).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive in the Dark.