Tara's Reviews > Ascend

Ascend by Amanda Hocking

Jul 25, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, kindle, young-adult, trolls
Read from July 24 to 25, 2012

Review:

After reading the second book, I’d decided that this series had potential, so long as the last book was pretty damn good. Thankfully, this completely delivered.

This book sees Wendy, unlikely Trylle (or troll) princess become unlikely Trylle Queen, and unlikely Wife, to an equally unlikely husband. She has to deal with her Wedding, her Coronation, and getting her nation to trust her, all whilst a hostile troll faction led by Wendy’s own father, the Vittra, threaten (and carry out) attacks.

Yes, this was exactly as dramatic as it sounds. In this book, I actually liked Wendy. She finally realizes what an ass Finn’s been, she grows up a heck of a lot, and does what any Princess/Queen would do, and finds herself putting her own needs second to those of her Kingdom and her people.

I have to admit, I loved the love story aspect of this, and I’d been kind of secretly hoping it would go this way – for me, the guy Wendy ends up with is the only one I could properly see her with having read the second book. The book also ended on a very unexpected note, and I loved that about it. There was also a good wrap-up, with all loose ends tied, and I was glad for it.

I’m going to admit, I became more immersed in the world Amanda Hocking has created than I originally thought I would, and given the movie rights have already been sold, I can (hopefully) look forward to seeing this one on the big screen!

Definitely enjoyable, and even for those who didn’t enjoy the second book so much, I felt this one was a lot better and a good ending to the trilogy.

Overall rating: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Originality: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
My Enjoyment: 4/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascend.