Rebecca Berto's Reviews > Beautiful Disaster

Aug 20, 12

bookshelves: best-everrr
Read from August 17 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy

***6/5 stars!***
Beautiful Disaster (blog review link here) is the type of story I’ve been looking for.

Travis Maddox (can his name get any hotter?) is a tattooed sleep-with-’em-and-dump-’em college student and he smokes, drinks, fights. No one hits him unless he decides they do, and no girl is worth seeing the next day.

Abby Abernathy is the girl we can relate to when she comes to Eastern College (albeit a different past): likes parties but cares about her studies, is thisclose with her best friend, and is liked without being popular or a loser.

Put them together and you have a modern Romeo and Juliet story to please even the toughest of readers.

Abby spends a lot of time at the beginning of the novel ensuring Trav gets that she isn’t interested in being used and forgotten. Trav? He’s mesmerised by Abby. They soon develop an amazing friendship to watch, as the reader.

Beautiful Disaster is everything the title suggests.When Abby and Trav are happy it’s high and beautiful and sexy but when they’re fighting they rock everyone around them, it’s controlling and desperate and shocking.

I’ve been reading plenty of romances lately but this one is a standout for so many reasons. One, so many authors try to please the readers by making everything seem right in one way or another and this book isn’t that. It’s wrong but it’s right and oh! so addictive. Jamie McGuire doesn’t hold back. For those who know the type of guy who’s capable of loving his girl more than life itself will probably have known the controlling nature that goes with that.

Well, Beautiful Disaster is life captured in a book.

Trav shamelessly doesn’t do bad things for reasons like ‘he has no other choice’ and that type of thing. He tells girls when they leave his apartment not to leave their number ’cause he’s not gonna bother calling. He’ll pummel the sh!t out of a guy if they threaten or lay a hand on someone he cares about. He’s each end of the emotional rollercoaster — both passionate in love and crazy in rage.

I won’t spoil any more (hopefully this wasn’t too spoilerish) but Beautiful Disaster is a dangerous, hot, sexy mess of a love story and my oh my it’ll keep you up. I read this novel in a couple of days and, YES, I 100% recommend it.
***6/5 stars!***
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Disaster.