Vittoria Marinelli's Reviews > The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset

The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins

Oct 26, 12

bookshelves: favourites
Recommended for: Everyone who hasn't read it
Read from July 22 to 23, 2012 — I own a copy

I've been planning on reading "The Hunger Games" for months, I even skipped the movie in order to avoid being influenced but it seemed like I never got time for it, little I had imagined that once I started it I wouldn't be able to stop. This is definitely one of those series you wished you hadn't read to experience it all over again.
I begun "The hunger games" on Sunday afternoon and by 11 pm of the following Monday I had finished the trilogy, I simply couldn't stop.
There are pros and cons about this way of experiencing the trilogy, first of all I cannot give a detailed review of every single book since to me it's been one book divided into three parts but I think that really gave me the possibility of better experiencing the character growth and change.
I simply LOVED the books, there's no other way to put it, even though the first one is IMHO the best one of the series they are all perfect, the writing quality never changed, the series develops in a coherent and clean way, the books evolve into each other in such an harmonious way that really made me appreciate the writer since IMHO it takes REAL talent to write a series like this one, which changes so much since it begins without forcing anything but making every single piece fit with each other.

I am really overwhelmed by how much I loved this series and its characters, Peeta was definitely my favorite one, how can you not love someone so pure, so good at heart? He makes my heart melt away.
Nonetheless I understand the confusion in Katniss's heart, how can you choose between two loves so true and different and yet so indispensable for her? In the end I decided that for me Katniss is simply a selfish character, she didn't really love either of them (if we consider love what Peeta feels for her), she just needs them and they know it, the only true love was for little Prim, the only act of true selflessness we see is when she volunteers to take her sister's place in the Games, otherwise every act she makes, every choice is destined to her own satisfaction, and it's clear when she simply shuts down Peeta after he is hijacked, she clearly states that she's done, because simply she cannot stand a version of Peeta that doesn't love her unconditionally, “All those months of taking it for granted that Peeta thought I was wonderful are over. Finally, he can see me for who I really am. Violent. Distrustful. Manipulative. Deadly. And I hate him for it.” .

Same fate for Gale, in the end she dismisses him because she doesn't need his fire, throwing away years of friendship and not even considering his feeling, even demolishing his love for her saying that "he'll soon find another pair of lips to kiss". Said that I like Katniss, she's not perfect, she's made an heroine, a symbol but that's not who she is and I like that, it makes her human, real and believable.
I think I wouldn't have liked the series so much with a perfect an moral heroine as a character, she's strong and yet she succumbs to desperation and craziness and that's NORMAL, she's not to blame for it, she's confused and acts as every seventeen year old girl would do.
Aside from the "triangle" the characters and the links between them are as good as the main ones, that is where the writing is impeccable, Collins makes you love each and everyone of them, even though we only see them through Katniss's eyes is impossible not to feel and pain for them, for the cruel reality they live in and for the challenges they had to go through.

Even though as i stated so many times I loved the story i have to admit that I believe that the writer could have been more "ambitious" in developing a more substantial back-story for the Capitol and the districts, I am left with wanting more, I still want to know about the fall of North America, how the districts came to be, how is it possible that in 75 years no one dared to speak against the "Hunger Games", what happened after Paylor took the power.

In conclusion I cannot say thanks enough to Susanne Collins and a rainy summer day to have let me know and enter the wonderful and painful world of The Hunger Games.
I can't wait to see the movies now, hoping they'll be just as good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset.