toni's Reviews > How to Travel with a Salmon and Other Essays

How to Travel with a Salmon and Other Essays by Umberto Eco

Jul 24, 2012

bookshelves: o-my-precious, 1965-postmodernism
Read from August 01 to 06, 2012

Favs: <How to Take Intelligent Vacations>, <How to Use the Taxi Driver>, <How to Eat Ice Cream>, <How to Justify a Private Library>, <How to Compile an Inventory>, <Editorial Revision>, <How to Write an Introduction> and <How to Watch Out for Widows>.

Secretly skipped: <Stars and Stripes>, <On the Impossibility of Drawing a Map of the Empire on a Scale of 1 to 1>, <How to Buy Gadgets>, <Three Owls on a Chest Drawers>, <Sequels>, <How to Write an Intro to an Art Catalogue>, <The Miracle of San Baudolino>.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Travel with a Salmon and Other Essays.

08/02/2012 page 25
10.0% "'A young person, on the other hand, one who is journeying around the continent on a Eurailpass, and who must therefore read in those overcrowded passages where you have to stand with one arm out of the window, could take with him at least three of six Einaudi volumes of Ramusio's travels, to be read holding one volume in hand, another under an arm, the third clutched between the thights.'"
08/05/2012 page 95
37.0% "Ha! It's universal! "Granny always suggested I eat only a part of the cone, ten thrown away the pointed end, because it had been touched by the vendor’s hand (though it was the best part, nice and crunchy, and it was regularly eaten in secret, after a pretense of discarding it).""
08/05/2012 page 97
38.0% ""...but it will not last nearly so long as the glorious old Fiat 500, which, even when it broke down, could be started again with a kick.""
08/05/2012 page 103
40.0% "'The visitor enters and says, “What a lot of books! Have you read them all?” At first I thought that the question characterized only people who had scant familiarity with books, people accustomed to seeing a couple of shelves with five paperback mysteries and a children’s encyclopedia, bought in installments...'"
08/05/2012 page 104
41.0% "Now that's a good one "Now I have fallen back on the riposte: “No, these are the ones I have to read by the end of the month. I keep the others in my office,” a reply that on the one hand suggests a sublime ergonomic strategy, and on the other leads the visitor to hasten the moment of his departure.""
08/05/2012 page 131
57.0% ""the highest-tech envelops now have systems of hermetic sealing that resist letter-openers, teeth, jabbing knives...Luckily we are still safe from promotional schemes, as they always betray themselves with words like 'free offer' on the outside, in gold letters. I was taught as a child that when you are offered something free, you should promptly call the police.""