Krystal's Reviews > Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan

Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan by Melanie Dobson

Jul 23, 2012

Elena Bissette, from a once-wealthy Chicago family, has arrived to spend what could be her last summer on Mackinac Island. Her mother is determined that Elena should marry Chester Darrington, a wealthy financier. Due to high interest payments, bank failures, and company failures, people like the Bissettes of 1894 went from wealth and success to the prospect of losing businesses and their homes. Elena is told it is her duty to save her family by marrying well, but she yearns to marry for love, to get off the “stage” of high society and be allowed to be herself. For years, she has escaped to a mysterious lighthouse where she can sketch, be in awe of the stars, and feel close to God. One night, while her mother’s plans with Mr. Darrington are falling apart, Elena meets Chase at the lighthouse. Their shared love of the night sky, interest in art and invention, and curiosity about the lighthouse’s mystery bring them to love one another. Unhappily, their love might not survive high society’s gossip and continual pretense.
We have to take our family to Mackinac Island! Dobson describes a world of great natural beauty and history. Reading about the inventions that the Darringtons investigate and finance reminded me of the many inventions I have seen in my own time – these marvelous inventions that we take for granted! The bits of history about the British occupation of Mackinac add so much to the story, especially the diary pages from the patriot wife who steadfastly cares for her children as she waits for word from her missing husband. I really liked Elena’s mom, dad, and Claude. Her father – such a loving gentleman. Her mother – so proper, refined, and determined – but nearly a mother bear when defending her daughter! Claude is so gentle and caring; his loyalty to the Bissette family and his deep faith inspires and comforts.
Four Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan.