Jacob's Reviews > Madame de Treymes and Three Novellas

Madame de Treymes and Three Novellas by Edith Wharton

Jun 17, 13

bookshelves: west-and-wharton, fiction-and-literature, i-own, short-fiction, 2013
Read from April 01 to June 17, 2013

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madame de Treymes and Three Novellas.

04/01/2013 page 43
10.0% ""Some men," Flamel irresistably added, "think of books merely as tools, others as tooling. I'm between the two; there are days when I use them as scenery, other days when I want them as society; so that, as you see, my library represents a makeshift compromise between looks and brains, and the collectors look down on me almost as much as the students.""
04/01/2013 page 65
16.0% "Glennard's God was a god of the living, of the immediate, the actual, the tangible; all his days he had lived in the presence of that god, heedless of the divinities who, below the surface of our deeds and passions, silently forge the fatal weapons of the dead."
04/02/2013 page 106
26.0% ""He was your friend before he was mine. I never knew him till I was married. It was you who brought him to the house and who seemed to wish me to like him."
Glennard gave a short laugh...she was certainly not a clever woman.
"Your deference to my wishes is really beautiful; but it's not the first time in history that a man has made the mistake of introducing his friends to his wife."

Glennard, you ass."
04/28/2013 page 17
4.0% "Also continuing-after-a-break. My reading this year has been a bit erratic, and I keep starting books on a whim only to abandon them for other books. After Remembrance Rock I feel like going back to the others, so I intend to spend the next month finishing stuff--starting with this and vol. 1 of the James bio, then Darconville's Cat, Confidence-Man, and Earthly Powers. ISOLT and IJ are not on the list." 1 comment
04/30/2013 page 118
29.0% "Glennard, you ass." 3 comments
05/05/2013 page 134
33.0% "Can't seem to get into the other novellas at the moment. Maybe I should try a novel instead. Like that makes sense."
05/05/2013 marked as: paused
06/09/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/09/2013 page 134
33.0% "Right-o, let's give this another try."
06/11/2013 page 210
52.0% "Finally (finally!) finished "Sanctuary" after several attempts. Not my favorite Wharton novella, I'm afraid. Let's hope the next one is an easier read."
06/17/2013 page 398
100.0% "And I thought Ethan Frome was depressing. The Bunner Sisters could kick his ass and make him beg for mercy." 10 comments
06/17/2013 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Sherrod I <3 la Wharton!

Jacob Kate wrote: "I <3 la Wharton!"

I hated her for years, solely because my AP English Lit teacher butchered Ethan Frome for me during my senior year of high school. Didn't pick up her work again until last year, and I really enjoyed the Old New York novellas and her short stories. Ethan Frome wasn't as awful as I remembered it, either. So there was nothing wrong with Edith--it was really all Mrs. W-'s fault.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Sherrod Required reading has ruined many authors. To this day, I headvomit at the mere thought of picking up John Steinbeck.

Jacob Very true. Hawthorne and Dickens for me as well--The House of the Seven Gables and A Tale of Two Cities were just as butchered as Ethan Frome. All I can say is, I am very relieved I got to discover Moby-Dick on my own. Maybe after I've read more Melville, I can give Hawthorne another try.

Also, "headvomit" is my new favorite word.