Sara's Reviews > An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness

An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: genetic-counseling-reading-list
Read from July 23 to August 03, 2012

This book really opened my eyes to the world of Dr.Jamison and her mental illness. She does a wonderful job of explaining her times of mania and depression. Some, actually most, of her stories are chilling due to her vivid detail.

I think this book affected me so greatly because Jamison doesn't censor. She shares some of her hardest moments, she talks about love, strained family relationships, outbursts of rage, even her failed suicide attempt.

This is the first book on my 'genetic-counseling' shelf and although it focuses on the more emotional toll of the disease, Jamison gave me a strong insight into the lasting impressions that relationships with those in the healthcare field can cause. In a particularly upsetting moment, a doctor tells her she shouldn't have kids because of her illness, and she explains how such a brief conversation continues to pain her. She also explains how sometimes she didn't want her psychiatrist/doctors to comfort her with empty words and phrases 'it will get better' 'you'll be fine' etc. which is very eye-opening and serves as a very real learning tool in the weeks before I start my Genetic Counseling Program.

If the topic of manic depressive disorder/mental illness interests you, this is a must-read. But, if you don't have an interest for it, then it should go without saying that the book might not hold your full attention.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Unquiet Mind.