Irene's Reviews > Perfumes: The Guide

Perfumes by Luca Turin

Sep 23, 13

bookshelves: ahhh-perfume, 2012
Read from August 20 to 30, 2012

I got this one from the library and decided that I need to have my own copy, preferably in hardcover, as I love the quality of the pages and heft of the book in my hands. friends: hint hint ;)

I have to thank the Turin/Sanchez team for turning me onto some of their opined masterpieces (Guerlain's l'heure bleue, Bulgari Black). There are some frags to which I've never been exposed and now yearn to sample. So, I thank them for that. And I'll try real hard not to resent their opinion that one of my favorite perfumes, according to TS, is a scrubber. I humbly disagree.

And, I think that is the beauty of perfume as an art. It's totally subjective and very personal. While I value their opinions and writing (funny, smart...if a little snarky) as "experts" in the field who have deep knowledge of notes/accords and know what perfumes are supposed to invoke some sort of olfactory orgasm, my own opinions about the scents I love are just that--my own opinions. The star ratings will not persuade me or dissuade me from smelling as many perfumes as I can just so I can form my own opinion too.

Nevertheless, it's a great book and am glad to heave read it for the exposure to some spectacular fragrances heretofore unknown to me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfumes.

Quotes Irene Liked

“The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: "What scent drives men wild?" After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon. Now, on to the far more interesting subject of perfume.”
Tania Sanchez, Perfumes: The Guide