Elizabeth La Lettrice's Reviews > Once

Once by Anna Carey

Jul 26, 12

Read from July 23 to 25, 2012

I don't know if I'm being a little harsh with the rating on this one.

I was bored.

And the funny part was that I was reading someone's review of Eve, and I kept thinking to myself: "This KINDA sounds familiar. Did I read this?" Sure enough, I went back to my reviews and saw that I did, in fact, read it and I said "...since there was nothing quite memorable about this book, I doubt I'll remember to look for the second one."

How funny, right? I said there was nothing memorable and now, ONLY 7 MONTHS LATER, I forgot I read it.

So, needless to say, I picked this one up to see if it got any juicier. Nope. Full of cliches and not very much action, a not-very-interesting cliffhanger (am I being insensitive?), and hypocritical characters with hardly any depth.

And the one thing I said that I really enjoyed in the first book - the literary references - was completely absent.

So, I guess I'm not being harsh at all. It wasn't so great but gets 2 stars because even in reality shows with no premise, I have interest in the setup of a decent plotline and seeing it through either successfully or unsuccessfully.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once.