Stephanie's Reviews > The Post-Birthday World

The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver

Jul 29, 2007

Read in August, 2007

I am always hesitant to read books that garner lots of critical attention - those books that seem to be the "must-reads" every few months. However, I really enjoyed this book. At the end of the first chapter, the main character has a choice to act in one of two ways in a certain situation. From there on out, there are two sets of chapters that tell parallel narratives of what happens as result of this choice -- one set follows the "yes" trajectory and one the "no" trajectory. This seemingly small choice has big and small effects. It is interesting that the two narratives do run very parallel, often overlapping in some ways, and that, by the end, the main character ends up in much the same place - which ties both narratives together. This would be a very interesting book group or discussion book -- it raises issues of chance, choice, fate/destiny, coincidence, and timing. I'm curious to see what Lionel Shriver's other work is like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Post-Birthday World.