Rhonda's Reviews > A Plain Death

A Plain Death by Amanda Flower

Jul 23, 2012

bookshelves: rhonda-s-2012-book-challenge
Read in July, 2012

An unlikely friendship between a high-tech woman and a runaway Amish girl leads to murder. Her first day in Appleseed Creek, Ohio, Chloe Humphrey, befriends Becky, an ex-Amish teenager looking for a new home. While driving Chloe’s car, Becky collides with a buggy, killing an Amish bishop in the process. The case moves from accident to murder when police reveal a cut brake line. Now, Chloe and Becky’s handsome brother, Timothy, must discover who the real intended victim is before the murderer makes a second attempt.
This is the book for those readers who love suspense and mystery! I love trying to figure out "who done it" as I read mysteries and this was a tough one! I will say that I never fully figured the whole mystery out before the truth was finally revealed. I am so excited to see that a sequel is due out in Feb. 2013, A Plain Scandal.
Amanda Flower makes her characters rich. You will love the good guys and HATE the bad guys. You will be rooting for the "good" side to win! I felt like I was actually in the scenes with her descriptions of places and people. I do not think readers will be disappointed in this book and series. I did not want to quit reading and go to sleep. I finished this book in two nights because I just had to know what happened. It all seems like a simple accident for Becky and the Amish bishop, but things soon begin to unravel and stories start coming out that show something far more sinister has taken place.
It was interesting to me that the Amish were shunning Becky because of the accidental death of the bishop. I could understand if she had been drunk or driving recklessly. She was guilty of driving without a driver's license and she DID take Chloe's car without asking permission first, but wow! shunning is hard for me to comprehend. It seems such a harsh punishment. 5-star book and you do need to read it!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Plain Death.

message 1: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina Rhonda, this sounds like a book that I must read. Will add it to my ever growing list of books to read. Great review.
Blessings, Tina

Rhonda thanks, Tina, and yes, it is good. I really enjoyed it!