Joe's Reviews > What It Is

What It Is by Lynda Barry

Dec 09, 08

Read in December, 2008

This is a big, beautiful book full of page after page of gorgeous collages Lynda Barry created, I'm supposing, while trying to actually write a autobiographical comic of her life. But that's all it is. If you're expecting the new adventures of Marlys and Maybonne, Freddy and friends you will be disappointed as I initially was.

Barry peppers her collages with brief comics chronicling her unhappy childhood and creative awakening, so my guess, after finishing the book, is her collages are her doodles she made while waiting for her creative muse to return to her.

The thing I did enjoy the most about the book is the last part when Lynda explains her creative process and give us, the readers, a step-by-step tutorial of using this process to create and write ourselves. I tried one of the exercises and was astounded how vividly I was able to recall dormant memories. In that regard this an awesome book.

Lynda Barry is one of my all time favorite writers, but please give us a new chapter of Marlys and Maybonne or another gripping tale like Cruddy soon. Please?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What It Is.