Tahlia Newland's Reviews > Heaven Is for Heroes

Heaven Is for Heroes by P.J. Sharon

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, ya
Read in July, 2012

Heaven is for Heroes is a beautiful, well-written story that arouses our awareness of the difficulties servicemen face as they rehabilitate after a serious injury, and of the grieving process of families and friends of the deceased. Guilt, anger and the need for understanding exactly how someone died are all part of this story, but what could be a depressing subject matter is balanced by a heart-felt romance. Don’t assume that it’s only for young adults; this book is one that everyone should read.

Blurb: Smart and athletic seventeen year-old Jordie Dunn has a bright future planned, but when tragedy turns her life upside down, she begins to question not only her future, but the facts surrounding her brother’s death in Iraq. The military’s account that his best friend and fellow Marine, Alex Cooper, is at fault, is a notion she refuses to believe. Alex was the careful one--the shy, protective, computer geek she’s had a crush on since the ninth grade, and she knows better than anyone that her troubled brother had a dark and reckless side—a secret she’s kept for far too long.

Jordie is exemplary in the way she helps her friend Alex move forward after the loss of his lower leg, and how she waits for their relationship to weather the obstacles his situation throws up for them. We can all learn something from her willingness to accept his loss and deal with the issues of looking after the stump left by the amputation. The details make interesting reading.

Heaven is for Heroes doesn’t skip the hard issues and it leaves us, as really good books do, enlightened by the experience. This is an excellent book and I urge you all to buy it. I give it 5 stars and a place on the Awesome Indies list without any reservations.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven Is for Heroes.