Karl H.'s Reviews > The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks

M 50x66
Jul 23, 2012

it was ok
Read in July, 2012

“The Man Who Mistook His Wife for A Hat” is a collection of medical curios suffering from an identity crisis. It’s neither geared toward the uninitiated or the professional. Technical medical terms are thrown around without explanation, but much of this book is not strictly medical in nature. Perhaps this book of case studies sees some use in Psych 101 classes. The case studies are one part medical curiosity, one part human interest, one part super technical psychology stuff and one part philosophy, as the good doctor ruminates about things he has no professional explanation for. I found the medical conditions fascinating, the human interest portions heart-wrenching, the literary and philosophical wandering lackluster, and the psychology stuff boring and baffling. It seems to me, based on some of my other readings like Moonwalking with Einstein, like psychologists have got a much better handle on memory and particularly synesthesia in the 40 years since this book was published. Worth a read for the absolutely fascinating case studies, but much of the analysis can be skipped in my estimation (but hey, I’m no doctor).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales.