Jessica's Reviews > The Crystal Shard

The Crystal Shard by R.A. Salvatore

Nov 24, 08

I knew that this was the first Drizzt book that Salvatore ever penned, so the Drizzt that I knew from the "first three" books wasn't going to be the same Drizzt that I followed here, and I'm glad that I knew that going in. Drizzt had a few more, uh, pre-occupations in this story than I preferred, but he was still more-or-less the same drow I had grown so attached to.

The thing I really like about this story are the characters. Drizzt has finally found a place for himself in the world - not a perfect place, but he's content. He's met some people who know him, and who can look past his heritage.

The battles in this story were even better than I had come to expect, mostly because of the people who fought along Drizzt, and the unexpected alliances that were forged at the end.

The unwavering friendship that Drizzt is able to find in Icewind Dale is more gratifying for me, a reader who picked up the books in the order that the publisher numbered them, not in the order that Salvatore wrote them. Having read through all of Drizzt's struggles prior to coming to Icewind Dale made his acceptance in Bruenor's clan and by some of the people in Ten-Towns much more sweet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crystal Shard.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

David Sarkies I wonder what order is the better order to read them in, Chronological order or publication order (though I doubt I have the time or the willpower to read them again).