Anna Fierce's Reviews > Live by Night

Live by Night by Dennis Lehane

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: first-read-books-won
Recommended for: any fans of Dennis Lehane and anyone who likes crime/gangster books
Read from August 05 to 06, 2012, read count: 1

Check out my blog for more extensive reviews and more!

**I received a free advance copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads for the purpose of reviewing it.**

PROS: This is a very good gangster book that could rival any others. Mr. Lehane once again proves to be a master storyteller. I enjoyed this one more than it's prequel, The Given Day, both because I liked the character of Joe better than the characters in the other book, and because I felt the book had a bit more polish. In The Given Day, I felt like it could have used a bit of trimming but this book was better paced. The setting and characters satisfied any craving I would have for a good 1920's gangster book without resorting to the millions of cliches that setting has created over the years.

CONS: Without giving anything away, let me just say I didn't particularly like the ending, but it wasn't bad enough to detract from the rest of the book and also could probably be justified. Also, and this is only sort of a con, Mr. Lehane once again demonstrates his almost-endearing habit of finding ever-more-creative ways to describe colors. Although, to be honest, I rather like this vice of his.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Live by Night.