Sara's Reviews > Raising Financially Confident Kids

Raising Financially Confident Kids by Mary Hunt

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from July 31 to August 05, 2012

I was intrigued when I saw this book for review. I wanted to see how the author was able to practically incorporate a money-management system into her family that would help her kids be on the path to a life free of debt. I thought the book was very good, especially when it came to teaching older kids (around 10 and up) how to deal with money. Her ‘salary’ plan is interesting, and my husband and I had actually talked about implementing something similar with our family in the future.

I was a bit disappointed, however, at the lack of biblical principles in this book. The author talks a lot about values but almost nothing about where those values come from. I especially thought this was true when the author used an example of teaching kids about lying. She said that different kids would need different reasons or motivations in order to not lie. I agree that different kids sometimes need to have different motivations – my motivation for things definitely differs from my husband’s – but not once does the author say that the reason we shouldn’t lie is because God says not to. Maybe I am being picky, but ultimately, my money does not belong to me. It belongs to God. And I was disappointed that a Christian-published book did not emphasize that more. It was rather vague.

That being said, this book definitely gives tons of practical advice, and this is what most people (including me) crave when it comes to these types of topics. After reading this book, my husband and I plan to implement several of her suggestions and will more than likely start a plan similar to the salary plan for our daughter when she is older.

Read my complete post here: http://shoopettesbookreviews.blogspot...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raising Financially Confident Kids.