Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews's Reviews > The Cowboy and the Princess

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-amanda, publishersent
Read in July, 2012

Amanda's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

4.5 Stars

What do you get when you cross Horse Whisperer with Roman Holiday? You get a delightful read from Lori Wilde in her second book of the Jubilee series, The Cowboy and the Princess. You bring together two unlikely people together and they are what the other needs but it takes them time to figure it out. Princess Anabella of Monesta wants to experience life on her own before she marries her prince in an arranged marriage and seizes the chance when she is in Texas. She’s refined, well-educated and completely out of her element. Brady Talmadge breaks all his rules when he picks up a hitchhiker during a rainstorm and knows this was a really bad idea. He lives out of his horse trailer moving from town to town, working by word of mouth, not wanting to settle down and commit.

Anabella is posing as a cowgirl, who now calls herself Annie, is looking for a little romance with a cowboy so she seizes the opportunity to make the most of it with Brady after he picks her up on the side of the road. He’s headed into Jubilee, Texas and she wants to very much go with him. There she hopes to get a job, work for herself and work on that cowboy romance. Brady is headed to Jubilee to work on Joe Daniels horse Miracle, who was hurt in a bad accident months ago.

This story was absolutely delightful because it brought many smiles to my face with the references to the Audrey Hepburn/Gregory Peck film. Her characters are so likeable and I definitely root for them in their times of trouble. She even involves their dogs in the story which definitely reminds me of Disney’s Lady and the Tramp. What you slowly realize is why Brady has his rules and why Annie doesn’t feel quite like she belongs with royalty. The twist in the story, which I won’t say because it just would ruin it for the reader, is what can bring them together may also be the thing that could tear them apart. Her story might sound predictable but not to me. I love the emotions the author stirs in me and delights me when the hero and heroine get their HEA. So glad I read it and look forward to more stories from Jubilee.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cowboy and the Princess.