Jaclyn's Reviews > Demon Hunting in the Deep South

Demon Hunting in the Deep South by Lexi George

Jul 23, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fae, net-galley, romance, urban-fantasy, arc, paranormal-romance
Read in July, 2012

I received an ARC of Lexi’s George’s new paranormal romance via NetGalley. Demon Hunting in the Deep South was a lot of fun and it will have a lot of appeal for fans of the Sookie Stackhouse series. It should also be noted that this book is the second in a series, which I was not aware of when I requested it on NetGalley – I really wished I had read the first one, as I very much felt that I had missed important details necessary for Deep South.

Demon Hunting in the Deep South occurs relatively soon after the events of the first book in the series, Demon Hunting in Dixie, and the main characters remain the same; however the focus of the romantic relationship changes. The first book focuses on Addy and the demon hunter, Brand; this book now focuses on Evie and Brand’s “brother,” Ansgar, who met and started a relationship in the first book. This romantic relationship begins anew in Deep South because Evie has lost all of her memories of Ansgar when she died and was brought back by Ansgar. Evie and Ansgar reconnect because Evie's life is in danger from a demon and Ansgar takes it upon himself to protect Evie despite the fact that he has been trying to stay away. Evie is unaware that her and Ansgar had a romantic relationship but she feels drawn to him even though she feels that she doesn't stand a chance with the guy who looks like a Norse god.

The pre-existing relationship between Evie and Ansgar was the main reason I did not enjoy this book as much as I could have. There wasn’t a lot of relationship building in this book; Evie and Ansgar didn’t exactly have a lot of conversations, so I didn’t completely buy it when they each professed to be in love with one another. Evie and Ansgar seemed to have more of a physical relationship rather than a more romantic one. I am assuming that this relationship was examined more fully in the first book, but I still would have liked there to be more dialogue between the two romantic leads in this book.

What I loved about this book was the secondary characters; George included a lot of details about secondary characters without it overshadowing the main plot of the novel; Addy’s brother, Shep, and his shade girlfriend, Lenora, were adorable. I also enjoyed how George sets the stage for the next book in the series with a relationship building between two characters – my money’s on Conall and the bar owner, Beck – and the presence of another supernatural threat. Series that change characters like this are my personal favourite; I love seeing the same world from different perspectives. And if I’m right about the next relationship (Conall and Beck) it will be interesting to see what life for a half-demon is like through Beck. Fingers crossed on my prediction!

Overall, I thought this was a very fun book and it would make a perfect summer read. It would be great for those who enjoy light-hearted paranormal romances.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon Hunting in the Deep South.